Who is an international student? An international student is a person who is not a citizen of the country where he is applying for a course in a university. There you have to apply as an international student and all the rules and procedure are followed as per the guidelines of an international admission procedure. These admission systems or guidelines change from country to country or institution to institution.
In many countries the applications are done in the last year of the previous year course. In some countries these applications are processed by an agency. The basic guidelines to follow are:
- Eligibility is one important concern. Compared to Asian countries the admission procedures in the foreign countries are more competitive. There is a high level of competition for international students. The admission procedure is more critical for topmost educational institutes. To get into the university you should have good grades, proper financial support, and capacity to complete challenging coursework, research and important good command over English languages. There are different eligibility requirements for different courses. You can check the website for more details on the university you are planning to apply for.
- If you have attended any high school earlier, then all the documents of higher education must be official and should be produced whenever required. Failure to show them, can lead to dismissal of the application form.
- Credentials and translations.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- GRE, TOEFL or GMAT scores.
- All the records must be in original or signed from the authorities.
- Records must be in your language with the English translations included.
- A valid email ID must be provided. All communication from the university will be done on your email.
- A permanent address should be given of your home country. This information is required if you are studying in a foreign country.
- The English proficiency certificate has to be submitted if your native language is not English or if you have attended the school in a non-English speaking country.
- Apart from this there may be some additional requirements. Check with the chosen institutions for the same.
Fees can be non-refundable in most of the universities. Please check the terms & conditions for the same on the website of the applying university. Make sure that all the documents are submitted in a sealed envelope. Specific international students with a domestic type of Visa can check for the domestic applicant’s rules on the website. They will be assessed according to their rules.
We cannot forget the holistic and the traditional process of evaluating the application forms. The small things which should be paid attention are the academic credentials, leadership characteristics, fast career growth. The process of admissions may include essays, discussions, references, admission test scores, English level interview. Finally the decision will be made on the basis of the best scores. The competition to get admissions in the foreign universities is large and you can only sustain if you have a high level of potential and best score along with the experience and attitude to achieve anything.